On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been replaced, to name some—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Siloam Springs Heating & AC in Siloam Springs about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the period of time between specialized cleanings.
Mostly importantly, arrange annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Siloam Springs Heating & AC. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running effectively, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Siloam Springs Heating & AC about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters habitually and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand changing.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Siloam Springs home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Siloam Springs Heating & AC a call at 479-308-8176.