Summer weather in Siloam Springs can be brutal. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility bills. We’ve compiled some tips to make it simple.
The greatest thing you can do to stay comfortable and maintain energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system running dependably and efficiently, and Siloam Springs Heating & AC is able to make that simple. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks noted by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as needed. Dirty coils require your system to run harder to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of proper and safe operation.
- Look at refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure accurate system airflow.
Another critical piece to staying cool is consistently checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can raise energy expenses and damage your equipment, leading to premature failure. Our Siloam Springs Heating & AC professionals will inspect these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are some other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Look at thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your house for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to retain the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you routinely would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another style of fan people often forget about when they’re working to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make certain to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your house.
- Work to not leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven put heat into your home, but even routine activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can increase the heat in your home.
If you’d like extra ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Siloam Springs Heating & AC at call at 479-308-8176 or request an appointment with us online.