You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shivering in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to end up in a situation like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a few things you can check, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and have a plan for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly morning.
- Compile supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t running. It could seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace might have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this happens, switch the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to set up an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as increased activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the probability is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the experts at Siloam Springs Heating & AC a call at 479-308-8176 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.